Bath-based New York State Police arrested two people in separate violent incidents over the weekend, one involving a sledgehammer-wielding grandmother and the other involving a man who allegedly attacked his wife during a fight over Christmas decorations that hadn't been taken down yet.

The first incident occurred Saturday afternoon at the home of Edith Plummer, 59, at 8946 County Route 7 in Avoca.

According to a news release from Inv. Donald Rodbourn, Jonathan Tyler, 24, went to Plummer's residence to pick up his child for a court-ordered visitation. However, Plummer - the child's grandmother - refused to turn over the child to Tyler, and ordered him off the property.

When Tyler refused to leave, Plummer allegedly kicked him several times in an effort to force him off her porch. When Tyler still did not leave, Plummer allegedly grabbed a small sledgehammer from her home and struck Tyler with it several times in the chest.

Tyler disarmed Plummer and called 911. He was treated and released for non-life-threatening injuries at Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital in Bath.

Plummer was charged with second-degree assault and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. She was arraigned in Avoca Town Court and released on her own recognizance to await her next court appearance.

The second incident occurred around 1 a.m. Sunday at the Pygott residence at 9518 State Route 53 in Wheeler.

According to Inv. Rodbourne, Michael Pygott, 47, and his wife, Michelle Pygott, 38, had just returned home after a night out when he became angry over Christmas decorations that had not been taken down yet. He took the decorations down and threw them out the front door, destroying them, according to Rodbourne.

An argument ensued, during which Michael Pygott allegedly shoved his wife into a wall, punched her in the head several times and choked her.

Pygott's 8-year-old son awoke and unsuccessfully tried to get him to stop the attack, while another child called 911, police say.

Pygott was charged with third-degree assault, second-degree harassment, criminal obstruction of breathing, endangering the welfare of a child and fourth-degree criminal mischief.

He was arraigned and sent to Steuben County Jail on $4,000 bail.