|
The Steuben Courier Advocate
  • Bath fire victim ID'd, cause determined

    • email print
      Comment
  • BATH | Authorities have identified the man killed in a fire in downtown Bath earlier this week as Jerry Haskins, 69.
    Haskins was a tenant in Apartment 202, a second-floor back apartment above the former Sherwood’s Wine and Liquor store at 12 W. Steuben St., according to Tim Marshall, acting director of the Steuben County Office of Emergency Services.
    Haskins’ body was sent to the Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office in Rochester this week for positive identification. Medical examiners determined his cause of death to be smoke inhalation.
    The blaze was reported around 1:30 a.m. Monday. Firefighters from 10 area volunteer fire departments fought the blaze.
    Another resident - who was not identified - escaped the fire by jumping from a second-story window, and was treated and released at Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital.
    Also Friday, authorities announced that the fire had been determined to have been caused by an electrical problem, and was accidental in nature.
    The ruling followed a joint investigation by the Steuben County Fire Investigation Team, the Bath Fire Department, Bath Village Police Department and New York State Police, according to Marshall.
    Monday’s fire heavily damaged the upper floor of the building, and the store below sustained water damage.
    The Steuben Courier Advocate - The Leader’s weekly sister paper located next door - sustained smoke and water damage, causing the office to be temporarily closed. Operations have temporarily shifted to The Leader’s Corning office.

    Events Calendar