A Rochester man has been indicted by a Steuben County Grand Jury on six felony counts - including attempted murder - for an alleged drug-related shooting in the Village of Bath on June 30.

A Rochester man has been indicted by a Steuben County Grand Jury on six felony counts - including attempted murder - for an alleged drug-related shooting in the Village of Bath on June 30.

Steven R. Alexander, 24, was charged by indictment with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of tampering with physical evidence, and two counts of first-degree assault, all felonies, according to the Steuben County District Attorney’s Office.

He was also charged with unlawfully fleeing a police officer, a Class A misdemeanor.

Alexander had been held in Steuben County Jail on a first-degree assault charge since he was arrested July 1 by Painted Post-based New York State Police.

He is accused of shooting Mori Prout, 33, also of Rochester, in the chest and head with an unlicensed .380 caliber handgun shortly before midnight on June 30 at an apartment house at 42 Belfast St. in Bath, just outside the grounds of the Bath VA Medical Center.

Alexander and Prout were selling crack cocaine in Bath, and some type of dispute over drugs or money led to the shooting, said Steuben County District Attorney Brooks Baker.

Prout remains in Rochester’s Strong Memorial Hospital with life-threatening wounds.

After the shooting, Alexander and two other Rochester men fled the scene and drove toward Rochester.

They were spotted by a sheriff’s deputy in Livingston County, and a car chase at speeds nearing 100 miles per hour ensued, authorities say. The men crashed their car and fled on foot.

Multiple police agencies - including New York State Police, the Livingston County Sheriff’s Office and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office - set up a perimeter and began searching with cruisers, foot patrols, canine units, and a helicopter. Area residents were warned to stay inside.

One of the men was apprehended around 6:30 a.m. in Lima, and the other two were caught a short time later in nearby Mendon.

The two men with Alexander were interviewed as witnesses but not charged.
Regarding the grand jury indictments, the attempted murder charge alleges Alexander’s intent to kill Prout; the weapon possession charge is for the unlicensed handgun; and the tampering with evidence charges are for Alexander allegedly tossing away the gun and the clip, respectively, during the car chase. The gun and clip were recovered by police.

The two assault charges stem from Alexander using a weapon to assault Prout, and for allegedly assaulting Prout “in furtherance of the commission of felony offenses involving the sale of narcotics,” according to the indictment.

The unlawful fleeing a police officer charge relates to the car chase that followed the alleged shooting.

Baker said the local knowledge of the Bath Police Department, combined with the more extensive resources of the New York State Police, led to a quick arrest within 18 hours of the shooting.

“I got to the scene about 12:30 that night, and (Bath Police Chief) Dave Rouse was already on scene, quarterbacking things,” Baker said. “Then it became clear we needed more resources, and we called the state police in for assistance.”

“But it was the Bath Police Department guys who recognized the cars and the players, and could tell us who was who,” Baker added.

Alexander remains in Steuben County Jail, awaiting arraignment on the new charges. The case was assigned to Judge Marianne Furfure, but an arraignment date has not been set. Alexander is being represented by William Kelley of the Steuben County Public Defender’s Office.