Weekly Community news from The Steuben Courier Advocate's July 7, 2013 edition.
• The Finger Lakes Chamber Music Festival – Concert “Bach to Rock III” will be held at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Courthouse Lawn, Penn Yan. Diverse program will include baroque, classical, folk, rag, jazz, pop, world ethnic, Appalachian Fiddle Music. Tickets are free for students and $20 for individual tickets. Tickets may be purchased online by credit card at www.FingerLakes-Music.org, at the door the night of the concert or sending a check payable to Finger Lakes Chamber Music Festival to PO Box 605, Penn Yan, NY 14527. Reception to follow. Fore more information call 315-563-0983.
• Catholic Charities Turning Point and Americorps Kids First Initiative are kicking off their 2013 Annual School Supply Drive. They are in need of many items to prepare children to go back to school specifically backpacks, calculators and safety scissors. Monetary and school supply donations may be dropped off or mailed to 23 Liberty Street Bath, NY 14810. For questions about donating items please contact: Tammy VanVleck at 607-776-4575 ext. 214.
• The Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee, the NYS Troopers, Steuben County Sheriff’s Department, Wayland Fire Department and Steuben County Public Health will hold a Car Seat Check Event will be held from 2-6 p.m. Thursday at the Wayland Fire Department. For more information contact Public Health at 607-664-2438.
• The Finger Lakes Chapter of NYS Retired Public Employees Association will hold a picnic-luncheon meeting at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Village Park in Savona. Cost of lunch is $13.50 per person. Entertainment will be Singer-Songwriter Brad Ordway. A fun auction of new and gently used items will be held. For more information or reservations call Edna at 607-776-3241.
• A fundraiser for Curtis Predmore will be held from 2-7 p.m. today at the VFW, Route 54, Bath, across from Philips Lighting. Cost is $8 minimum donation per person.
• The Steuben County Office for the Aging will distribute $20 booklets of Farmer Market Coupons from 9 a.m. to 12 noon Tuesday at Lakeview Apartments Nutrition Site, 105 Geneva Street, Bath, the Office for the Aging at the Corning Senior Center Building, 1 Park Lane, Corning or the Office for the Aging at the Hornell Senior Center, 20 Broadway Mall, Hornell. Booklets will be distributed on a first-come first-served basis. For more information call 607-664-2298, 607-936-4661 or 607-324-4891.
• The Charles E. Wescott American Legion Auxiliary will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Bath Legion.
• Corning Area Tea Party will host local Assemblymen Chris Friend and Phil Palmesano to discuss updates on the NYS Safe Act Curriculum, Common Core Education Curriculum and other important concerns at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at The Center, 400 Park Avenue, South Corning.
• The Steuben County Veteran’s Memorial will hold a monthly business meeting at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, July 14 in the dining room of the facility located at 7230 State Route 54, Bath, NY. All regular Steuben County Veterans Memorial members are welcome to attend the meeting. Support your veteran’s organization.
Page 2 of 3 - • There will be no meetings for the months of July or August for the Charles E. Wescott American Legion Auxiliary. The next meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, September 9.
• The reorganization meeting and regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Bath Central School District will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday in the District Office.
• The reorganization meeting and regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Hammondsport Central School District will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Urbana Town Hall.
• The Savona Free Library will host “Dig into the Arts” featuring Bath, NY artist and art instructor, Courtney Wilcox from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the library. The art workshops are geared toward students entering grades 3-6. Call the library at 607-583-4426 to register or for more information.
• The Savona Free Library Board of Trustees will hold their next monthly meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at the Library, 15 McCoy St., Bath. All meetings are open to the public. For more information call 607-583-4426.
• Bath Area needs volunteers: RSVP....Lead with Experience
Steuben County's non-profits need your time and talent!
- Steuben Coordinated Transportation needs several volunteers to transport senior citizens to medical appointments. Mileage reimbursement available.
- Project Care needs volunteers to commit some time to help seniors remain independent in their homes. Drive, make a phone call, or run an errand for a senior in your community. You can help!
- Get trained to be a Bone Builders leader! Help individuals to fight osteoporosis, improve balance and strength, and prevent falls.
- Home delivered meals drivers needed one to five days per week. Commitment is approximately 2 hours or less per day. Mileage reimbursement available.
If you are 55 years of age or older and you are interested in these or any other volunteer opportunities, call Mary at 607-664-2298 to learn more about the benefits of being an RSVP volunteer.
Please do not call the agencies or organizations directly.
Visit the RSVP website at steubencony.org/rsvp to see a more complete list of volunteer opportunities.
• Steuben Child Care Project gives child care providers information on a federally funded program which reimburses providers for nutritious meals served to the children in their program. The new on-line claiming process makes the required recordkeeping a snap, taking less than 5 minutes a day.
SCCP helps child care providers access the funding they are eligible to receive as well as support the providers to operate their businesses as economically as possible. For more information on child care programs call 776-2126 or 1 (800) 553-2033.
• The Steuben County Sheriff's Office Stop DWI Program tip line is 1-877-862-4847, toll free. Please report those who are drinking alcohol under the age of 21 years, those who purchase alcohol for anyone under 21 years of age and parties where under age drinking may be occurring.
Page 3 of 3 -