Weekly Community news for April 17, 2011.
• The Hammondsport American Legion Unit #407 will hold their monthly meeting at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 1.
• The Hammondsport Mac Users Group will meet at 10:30 a.m. Monday in the Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library. The meeting is open to anyone interested in using Macintosh computers. Topic for the meeting will be ‘Secrets: Amazing Features Hidden in your Mac’. Bring your laptop to use the free high-speed wireless internet available in the library. More information can be found at .
• The Wine Country Toastmasters will meet from 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Steuben County Health Care Facility, in the guest dining room on the second floor, 7009 Rumsey Street Extension, Bath. Guests are welcome. For more information call Terry Bilancio at 776-7813, Bob Babcock at (585) 728-9167 or Victoria Nichols at 324-7094.
• “The Railroads of Avoca - Past, Present, and Future” is the topic of the Avoca Historical Society’s quarterly potluck supper and historical presentation at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 28 at the Avoca American Legion Hall, Main Street, Avoca. This month’s speaker is Michael J. Connor, author and retired professional railroad officer/historical consultant. For more information contact Belinda Connor, AHS President at or email AvocaHistoricalSociety@gmail.com.
• Twin size mattresses will be given away by Arbor Housing and Development from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 30 at 41 Lake Street, Hammondsport. For more information call 607-776-7664.
• The 20th Annual Jack Lisi Youth Award will be held at 6:30 p.m. Friday, May 6 at O’Malley’s Hall, St. Mary’s Church, 36 East Morris St., Bath. Cost is $25 per person. Please make checks payable to “Jack Lisi Youth Award, Inc.” with a memo: “Jack Lisi Dinner.” Tickets are available at the Steuben County Youth Bureau, 3 E. Pulteney Square, Bath; the Steuben Courier Advocate, 10 W. Steuben Street, Bath; Hornell Concern for Youth, 76 E. Main St., Hornell; and the Corning Area Youth Center, 79 Flint Ave., Corning. For more information call 607-569-2079.
• A benefit for Dave Brouwere will be held from 3-8 p.m. Sunday, May 1 at the Bath Fire Department. Dave has major medical challenges, help a super guy who has done so much for the community. Live music, Chinese auction and spaghetti dinner. The cost of the spaghetti dinner is $9 per person, $16 a couple and $20 a family.
• Wine Country Seniors and people age 60 and over are invited to go see The Broadway Musical “42nd Street” on Monday, Aug. 15. Matinee at the Merry-Go-Round Playhouse with Transportation by K VENTURES and Luncheon Buffet at Abigail’s in Auburn, all for $85. For excellent seats the deadline for reservation and money is Wednesday, April 27. Pick ups in Bath and Hammondsport. For reservations call 607-569-2841 before April 27th. Their monthly meeting will be held at 5 p.m. April 12 at the Methodist Church, 35 Lake St. in Hammondsport. Bring dish to pass and your own place setting.
• The Finger Lakes SPCA will hold Paws and Pairings, a party for animals, from 6-9 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at Watson Homestead, Painted Post, NY. Join Corning Catering, top area wineries and the sounds of Chilean groove musicians Lo Cornejos as they combine talents to create a fun and festive Cinco de Mayo celebration. Tickets are $50 per person. For more information or to reserve tickets call 607-776-3039, 607-684-4156 or visit .
• The Finger Lakes SPCA started an Introduction to Rally-O with Diana Tschantre April 18 for six weeks at 6 p.m. Mondays at the River’s Edge Farm, 72 Cameron Street, Bath. Cost is $95. For more information call Darlene at 607-776-7685 (days) or Amy at 607-622-5372 (evenings/weekends.)
• The Finger Lakes SPCA will start an Beginner Agility with Penny Smigiel starting Tuesday for six weeks at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the River’s Edge Farm, 72 Cameron St., Bath. Cost is $95. For more information call Darlene at 607-776-7685 (days) or Amy at 607-622-5372 (evenings/weekends.)
• Steuben County Sheriff’s Office has announced its first pharmaceutical waste collection event of 2011 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 30 at the Hammondsport Fire Department, State Route 54, Hammondsport. All pharmaceuticals which do not contain Mercury or Iodine will be collected. For more information call the Sheriff’s Office at 607-622-3911.
• Author Douglas Kashorek will hold a presentation and author signing at 3 p.m. Friday at the Dormann Library in Bath.
• The Dormann Library Chapters Cafe will present Jay Horton from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday at the library, 101 West Morris Street, Bath. Admission is free. For more information call 607-776-4613.
• A free computer class will be held from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, April 27 at the Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library, Hammondsport. The topic will be Online Job Search. The class is free and open to the public. Please pre-register by calling the library at 607-569-2045.
• Saturday Stories n’ More will be held from 10-11 a.m. every Saturday morning through the Spring at the Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library. Children ages 3-7, friends of any age welcomed. Stories, crafts, themed activities and more. For more information call 607-569-2045.
• The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Bath Central School District will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the high school.
• The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Hammondsport School District will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the high school library.
• Registration for Universal Pre-Kindergarten in VEW Primary School is set for 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 26-28 in the VEW school foyer. Children residing in the Bath Central School District who will turn four years old on or before Dec. 1, 2011 are eligible to attend pre-kindergarten in September 2011. Parents are asked to bring proof of residency and their child’s birth certificate and immunization records to registration. The registration will take approximately 20 minutes. Children do not need to be present during registration. For more information, please call VEW Primary School at 607-776-4123 extension 5110 between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Applications are being accepted for the 13th annual which honors local students working for peace and justice. $1,000 will be awarded. Graduating seniors from Haverling, Hammondsport, or those that are homeschooled in Bath or Hammondsport area are welcome to apply. Applications can be picked up at each school’s guidance office or by calling Rita Moretti at 607-569-3564. Completed applications are due by Friday. For more information please call Rita Moretti. The scholarship is sponsored by The PeaceWeavers and the Bath Peace & Justice Group.
• Orientation and registration for the Prattsburgh Central School kindergarten will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 3 in the school cafetorium. The program offers important information for parents of children entering kindergarten. Parents of eligible children are encouraged to attend. Childcare will available for children who are at least three years old. Any child in the Prattsburgh School District who will be five years old on or before Dec. 1, 2011 is eligible to register for September’s Kindergarten program. For further information contact the school at 607-522-3795.
• “A Taste of Wine and Murder” will be presented Saturday, April 30 at St. Mary’s Hall in Bath. The audience is invited at 6 p.m. to sample local wines, local beer, and enjoy delicious hors d’oevres and a silent auction. The play will begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 and include the wine tasting and 6 o’clock activities. Tickets are available from Mary Hoffman at 776-4758. This murder mystery is an entertaining and enjoyable way of supporting the Bath branch of AAUW and their scholarship fund raising project.
• The Hammondsport American Legion Fish Fry will be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday at 8425 State Route 54, Hammondsport (across from Clark’s Metal.) Eat-in or take-out, choose from either baked or fried fish with a choice of baked potato or mac-n-cheese and coleslaw. Fried chicken dinners will also be offered.
• The Prattsburgh Historical Society annual dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 28 at the United Methodist Church, 4 Porter St. Please bring a dish to pass and your own tableware. Ham and beverage will be furnished. Election of officers will be held. The program will include a power point presentation of the history of Prattsburgh.
• A chicken BBQ will be held for the Hammondsport Little League opening day at 11 a.m. till they are gone Saturday, April 30 at the Little League Baseball Park, next to the firehouse at Champlain Beach, Hammondsport. Dinner will consist of half a chicken, salt potatoes, beans and a roll for $8. See a player, manager or board member for advance sale ticket to ensure you get one.
• Family members of Veterans with mental health issues: The Bath VA Medical Center will offer an education session from 4-5:30 p.m. Monday, May 2 in the main hospital building, Building 76, Room 511 on the VA campus. The topic will be Skills for Managing Stress Effectively. No reservation is needed to participate.
For more information call Darlene Leonard at 607-664-4300.
• Military Family Support Network will meet from 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the John P. Eaton Post 746, 8 River Road, Corning. Providing emotional, moral and informational support to family members whose lives have been affected by Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom and America’s war on terror. Guest speakers will be present, no fee to attend and walk-ins welcome. For more information call Denis Duby at 607-329-7037 or Jason Shaddock at 607-329-6421.
• The Record of Decision for the Nichol Inn Property Site has been issued by the NYS Department Environmental Conservation. Copies of the March 2011 ROD are available for review at the Pulteney Free Library, 9068 Main St., Pulteney. The libraries hours are from 12-8 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 12-6 p.m. Wednesdays and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. To contact the library call 607-868-3652.
• ReThreads Community Thrift Store, 54 Liberty Street, Bath will be open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.