CORNING - Corning Community College was locked down and swept by law enforcement Friday afternoon after a scare that a person had a suspicious object on campus, officials said.

“There was enough conversation that the object needed to be investigated,” Executive Director of Institutional Advancement Bill Little said. “Public safety called for a lockdown.”

Officials said state troopers and local police promptly arrived at the college and conducted a building-by-building search of campus.

The incident also prompted Corning-Painted Post High School to enter into a 'Lock-out" mode for the duration of the college incident.

After approximately an hour under lockdown, police determined there was nothing of concern to the faculty and student body, and the lockdown was lifted, officials said.

It was later determined that the person in question actually had an art project they were carrying under sheet, which was determined to be the suspicious object.

“Everybody did what they were supposed to do,” Little said, speaking on the college’s emergency protocol and resolution of the situation. He also thanked law enforcement for their quick response.

Students living in the dorms described being surprised after learning of a possible threat followed by armed police surrounding the perimeter of Perry Hall, with no one able to get in or out of the building.

“I was in my friend’s suite, and a cop actually came in with an assault rifle and told us to stay inside and lock all the doors,” junior Jesse Gutierrez said. “At first I was a little uncomfortable about the situation. I didn’t know what was going on.”

“After that, we started to get word around from our friends that there was a guy with a sheet and a gun in the dorms,” he said.

Junior Mario Caraballo also described being ordered to stay in his room, and said he felt safe with the police presence around him.

“They just came to our room to tell us ‘everything’s all right, just stay in the room,’” he said. “There were a lot of cops around.”

“They kept patrolling the hallways back and forth,” Gutierrez said.

Sophomore Anthony Belyeu was in the computer lab when he described being locked down and seeing police outside the window.

“We just closed the blinds, turned off the lights and sat in the back,” he said. “We were locked down about an hour and a half.”

“I saw a ton of police,” he said.

CCC said counseling services are available for students who wish to discuss the day's events.