CORNING - The First Tech Challenge hosted a 23-team Excelsior NY Region Qualifier Sunday at Corning-Painted Post High School.
Teams featuring students from grades 7-12 build robots to compete against other teams. Robot kits feature Android technology, which are programmed using Java.
Sunday's competition featured teams battling in a mineral collection scenario inside a crater.
Teams earned points by placing minerals into their robots' cargo holds. Points were awarded for mineral collection, as well as several lander functions, such as landing, sampling, claiming and parking.
Corning's Team Tardis #5356, which features students from Corning, Elmira and Horseheads, was named the Inspire Award Winner for the competition.
Other awards included:
1. Captain - BHS Robotics #8145, Brighton, Monroe County, Brighton High School
2. Team Tardis #5356 (Corning/Elmira/Horseheads)
3. Oncoming Storm #6996, Penfield, Monroe County, Bay Trail Middle School
1. Captain - SAS ATOMS #7230, Syracuse, Onondaga County, Syracuse Academy of Science School
2. Lansing Bobcats #7743, Lansing, Lansing High School
3. Electric Mayhem Green #12736, Buffalo, Erie County, Team Nichols School