CORNING - A man is currently behind bars after a Tuesday morning fire in Riverside took the life of a female who lived in the home.

Justin Gause, 21, of Corning, was charged Tuesday by State Police with second-degree manslaughter, first-degree reckless endangerment and third-degree unlawful manufacturing of methamphetamine.

Police responded to a structure fire at 20 Townsend Avenue at about 8:26 a.m., said Canandaigua State Police Lieutenant Sam Spezio. As a result of that investigation one resident was determined to be deceased.

Spezio said the name of the person killed during the fire will not be released until today.

“We want to insure that family members will be notified,” Spezio said. “We do have a long way to go with this investigation. Evidence-wise there are many more hours we have to put in.”

Gause, who is currently being held in the Steuben County Jail, will be arraigned at 8:30 a.m. in Steuben County Centralized Arraignment, according to Steuben County District Attorney Brooks Baker.

Police can not release at this time if the making of methamphetamine caused the fire, Spezio said. Officials say that currently, no other suspects are being investigated concerning the fire.

Firefighters from several area fire departments fought the blaze for nearly 30 minutes. 

A woman who lived at the home was rushed to the Guthrie Corning Hospital and later died, officials said.

Painted Post Fire Chief Joe Button said firefighters quickly put out the fire located in the back section, near the kitchen area, at the Townsend Avenue home. A second male subject who lived at the home was not injured by the fire.

“I was sitting at the table and looked out the window and thought gee it’s either foggy or smoky,” said nearby neighbor Verna Beck. “I looked out the window and the whole house was nothing but white smoke. I came out on the porch with my phone to call 9-1-1, but there was a (fire) truck already here. Black smoke was just bellowing out of the (second floor) window.”

The fire departments from Painted Post, Corning City, North Corning and Gang Mills fought the fire.