Health Calendar click here
The Cardiac Support Group will meet on the second Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in Cardiac Rehab on the second floor at St. James Hospital. The next support group will be held Wednesday, Dec. 9.
Gastric Bypass support
The monthly meeting of the Gastric Bypass Support Group of St. James Mercy Health System will be held from 7-8:30 p.m. the third Monday of every month in the Cafeteria at St. James Mercy Hospital. The next meeting will be held Monday, Nov. 16.
The free support group is open to any individual who has had a gastric bypass or is considering one. For more information call Faith Mills at 324-5869 or email@example.com.
The Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services will sponsor free HIV and Sexually Transmitted Disease clinics as follows:
• From 9-11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 19 at the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Clinic Rooms, County Office Building, 3 East Pulteney Square, Bath.
The clinic services are available to all residents of Steuben County for HIV counseling and testing and for testing and treating sexually transmitted diseases which include Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomonas.
For an appointment or information call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services at the Bath office at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471.
Hospital bills or Medicare questions?
Financial Representatives will be available on the second Tuesday of every month from 1-2 p.m. to answer questions regarding hospital bills or Medicare at St. James Hospital. This is a free service offered to any individual and no appointment is necessary. The next service will be held Tuesday, Nov. 10.
For questions call 324-8040.
Dating violence: what's love got to do with it? Does your partner keep you from your friends and family? Is there jealousy in the relationship? Love should never hurt, ever. For more information about relationship violence, contact HAVEN at 570-724-3549 or 1-800-550-0447. All services are free and confidential.
Grief Support Group
• The new Evening Grief Support group, “Good Grief Group” will be held the second and forth Monday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Hospital Chapel, St. James Mercy Health System, on the ground floor. The next meeting will be held on Monday, Nov. 23.
For more information contact Deacon Bob McCormick in the Spiritual Care Office at 324-8153.
• A Grief Support Group will be offered at 1 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month in the McAuley Manor Chapel located on the second floor of St. James Hospital. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 9.
For more information contact Deacon Bob McCormick at St. James Mercy Hospital Spiritual Care Office at 324-8153.
Want to quit smoking?
The Bath VA is offering the Quit Smart Program to assist eligible veterans to stop smoking. To find out if you are eligible and/or to enroll, contact the Behavioral Health Clinic at 664-4300.
Senior home care
The Steuben County Office for the Aging can assist senior citizens and their families explore the many options for home care and support services for eligible senior citizens.
Call the Office of the Aging for more information at 776-7813.
• Green Meadows will host Rebecca Askins, MSW at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 12. She will give a seminar on the 'Art of caregiving for you Alzheimer's loved one.' The public is invited.
• The Alzheimer’s Association offers a caregiver support group for those who have a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or other related dementia. The group is hosted by the Office for the Aging and meets on the second Wednesday of every month from 1:30–2:30 p.m. at the Human Resource Building, room #319, at 425 Pennsylvania Ave, Elmira. The next support group will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 9. There is no fee or registration to attend.
Please contact the Alzheimer’s Association at 585-760-5400 for further information.
• The Alzheimer’s Association, in partnership with the Steuben County Office for the Aging, will offer a caregiver support group in Bath for individuals who have a spouse/partner with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia. The meetings will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon the second Monday of every month at the Steuben County Health Care Facility, 7002 Mount Washington Road, Bath. The next meeting will be held on Dec. 14. No registration or fee to attend.
Call 585-760-5400 or 800-272-3900 for more information.
• The Alzheimer’s Association, in partnership with the Steuben County Office for the Aging, will offer a caregiver support group in Painted post for people who have a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia. The meetings will be held on the fourth Monday of every month from 2:30-4 p.m. at Green Meadows, 120 Creekside Drive. There is no registration fee to attend. The next meeting will be held Monday, Nov. 23.
Contact the Alzheimer’s Association at 585-760-5400 or 800-272-3900 for more information.
Steuben Coordinated Transportation, in partnership with Office for the Aging and the United Way of the So. Tier, offers transportation assistance to Steuben County residents (not on Medicaid) to medical, nutritional, or other necessary services. Transportation assistance is offered by referrals to area services or by arranging for a volunteer driver to transport qualified clients.
If you are a senior citizen without transportation to necessary, non-emergency appointments, please call helpline at 1-800-346-2211 and ask for Steuben Coordinated Transportation. Donations are accepted but there is not a fee for any services given.
Residents of any age interested in becoming a volunteer driver and a vital part of our community are also invited to call for more information. (Mileage reimbursement is available to volunteer drivers.)
Multiple Sclerosis support
The Multiple Sclerosis meetings will be held the first Wednesday of every month. The next meeting will at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 2 at Friendly’s in Hornell. For more information call Roberta Staub at 545-6404 or Donna Boag at 295-9852.
Brain Injury support
The Bath Brain Injury support group will meet the third Monday of every month at 6 p.m. at Kinship Family & Youth Services, 130 Rumsey St., Bath. The next meeting will be Monday, Nov. 16. A light snack will be provided. Contact Sharon Johnson at 315-538-8018 or firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
Flu shot clinics
Green Meadows has partnered with VaxAmerica to offer four flu and pneumonia shot clinics from 10 a.m. until 12 noon Thursdays, Dec. 10 and Jan. 13 at Green Meadows, 120 Creekside Drive, Painted Post. To pre-register to be assured a shot call VaxAmerica at 888-444-8522.
If your child is in need of immunizations, the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services will sponsor the following clinics for the month of Jan. under the direction of the local Medical Director. Adults are encouraged to attend the immunization clinic to receive Tetanus/Diphtheria vaccine which is recommended every 10 years. The cost for that vaccination is $20. The clinics are as follows:
• From 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 25 at the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services, County Office Building - G3 off D.S.S. lobby, Bath.
Anyone with special needs or for further information call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services office in Bath at 664-2438 or (800) 724-0471.
Sexual violence support
Sexual violence is not just a big city crime. It is happening in our rural communities. Sexual violence occurs when an individual is forced, threatened, and/or manipulated into unwanted sexual activity with another. It does not always include intense physical force and comes in many forms including date/acquaintance rape, marital/partner rape, and sexual predation upon children. All sexual crimes carry with them violations of the most intimate nature and are traumatic and life-altering events that will forever impact a person's sense of self, trust and safety. There is free, confidential and compassionate help available. Call HAVEN at 570-724-3549 or 1-800-550-0447.
A grant meeting will be held for all parents of Bath CSD students PK-12 from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17 at the VEW Library. The Bath CSD and Steuben County needs the community imput on what is currently working and what needs improvement when accessing mental health and counseling services. Child care is provided for the workshop. To register call Maria at the Bath Area Family Resource Center at 776-4123 extension 5650.
Massage your baby
Learn to massage your baby... and enjoy special time together. Individuals can use massage to teach babies to relax, to reduce or eliminate colic, to help them sleep deeper and longer and to foster the bond with a baby by developing a trusting and sucure relationship. The class will be held from 6-7 p.m. Monday Nov. 16 at the Bath Area Family Resource Center. Individuals will learn and practice new massage strokes each week, so it is important to attend all classes. To register call Jill Smith at Health Families Steuben at 776-6621. Class size is limited to six babies (6 weeks to 12 months) and their parents/caregivers.
National Caregivers Month
National Caregivers month will be celebrated from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 18 at the Bath VA, Building 92 Leisure Room. Speaker Ron Snavely will talk about “Paying for Care” from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. The VA will pamper individuals for the rest of the afternoon with manicures, neck/shoulder massages, aroma therapy, information booths and refreshments. RSVP by Nov. 13 by calling Patty Baroody at 776-7813, Jane Aniskevich at 664-4512 or Melissa Clark at 664-4543.