Health Calendar click here
• 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday in the hospital chapel, St. James Mercy Health System, on the ground floor. For more information call 324-8153.
• A bereavement group for residents dealing with the loss of a loved one meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Social Day Care Room on the ground floor of the Taylor Health Center.
The Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services will sponsor free HIV and Sexually Transmitted Disease clinics, by appointment only as follows:
• From 9-11 a.m. Thursday, June 16 at the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services clinic rooms, County Office Building, 3 East Pulteney Square, Bath.
The clinics are services available to all residents of Steuben County for HIV counseling and testing and for testing and treating sexually transmitted diseases.
For an appointment or information call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Bath office at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471.
• From 1-3 p.m. Wednesday at the Steuben County Public Health & Nursing Services, County Office Building – G3 off D.S.S. Lobby, Bath.
All clinics are by appointment only. An administration fee will be charged for children less than 19 years old based on a sliding fee scale ($3-$15/person.) Medicaid is accepted. Children unable to attend with an adult family member must bring a permission slip signed by parent/legal guardian. Adults are encouraged to attend the clinics to receive tetanus/diphtheria vaccine recommended every 10 years. The cost for the vaccination is $20.
Bring records of previous immunizations to the clinics. Call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Office in Bath at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471 to schedule an appointment or for further information.
• A free mammogram screening day is set for 9 a.m. – noon Saturday at the Arnot Health Corning Mammography Suite, 8 Denison Parkway, Suite 201. Uninsured women ages 40 or older are eligible for mammograms and clinical breast exams. Appointments are required. Interested individuals are asked to call 324-8690. Those who are not able to attend may also call this number for more information about additional free screenings.
Want to quit smoking?
The Bath VA offers the Quit Smart Program to assist eligible veterans quit smoking. For more information call 664-4300.
Senior home care
The Steuben County Office for the Aging assists senior citizens and their families explore the many options for home care and support services for eligible senior citizens. For more information at 776-7813.
Steuben Coordinated Transportation offers transportation assistance to Steuben County residents (not on Medicaid) to medical, nutritional, or other necessary services. Assistance is offered through referrals to area services or by arranging for a volunteer driver for qualified clients.
For more information call (800) 346-2211 There is no fee but donations are accepted.
Residents of any age interested in becoming a volunteer driver may also call for more information. Mileage reimbursement is available to volunteer drivers.
Hospital bills or Medicare questions?
St. James Mercy financial representatives are available 1-2 p.m. Tues. at the Office for the Aging, 20 Broadway Mall, Hornell to answer questions regarding hospital bills or Medicare. This is a free service offered to any individual and no appointment is necessary. For more information call 324-8040.
Living with osteoarthritis
Today, more than 10 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee, making it the most common form of arthritis in the U.S. What are frequent causes of this type of arthritis, and what can you do to protect your knees, reduce the symptoms, and support your doctor’s treatment? With advice from some of the world’s leading knee specialists, the American Arthritis Society has compiled in its publication ARTHRITIS INFO useful and practical tips for self-care. Each tip is interesting and easy to follow. For a free sample issue of ARTHRITIS INFO, write to: American Arthritis Society, P.O. Box 271010, Minneapolis, MN 55427 (please include a loose 44 cent stamp for return postage.)