Steuben County RSVP is seeking volunteers ages 55 and older to help individuals and non-profit organizations. The agency offers a variety of volunteer opportunities from visiting local nursing home residents to serving as a receptionist for an area organization.
One of the programs in need of volunteers, Reading Buddies, pairs seniors with children at local elementary schools for one-on-one and small group reading.
Wayland-Cohocton Elementary School Reading Buddies volunteer Martha Pendino encourages others to get involved with the program or another opportunity offered through RSVP.
“Working with WACO Elementary has been great,” Pendino said. “The staff is very cooperative and welcoming and the students are very well behaved. This school is the shining star of what can be accomplished with this program. My interactions are ones of accomplishment and caring. I arrive with a smile on my face and leave the same way. It is truly the highlight of my week.” Other organizations currently in need of help include:
• Catholic Charities/Turning Point needs a volunteer greeter and receptionist.
• ProAction Senior Nutrition needs help with the Corning Senior Center dinner program.
• United Way needs receptionists for the CA$H Program.
• Steuben Coordinated Transportation needs volunteer drivers.
• Absolut Care of Three Rivers needs volunteers to visit with the residents.
For details about becoming a volunteer or to learn about other organizations in need of help, call Nan at 607-936-4662.