Health Calendar, click here
• 2:30-4 p.m. Monday at Green Meadows, 120 Creekside Drive, Painted Post. The group is sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association and the Steuben County Office for the Aging. No fee or registration is required. For more information call 585-760-5400 or 800-272-3900.
• Learning Seminar “Understanding Alzheimer's Disease” will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, January 31 at the Southeast Steuben County Library, 300 Civic Center Plaza, Corning. Reservations required by calling 607-664-2298. There is no cost to attend.
• A bereavement group for residents dealing with the loss of a loved one will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Social Day Care Room on the ground floor of the Taylor Health Center.
The Steuben County Public Health Department will offer immunizations for Measles, Polio, Mumps, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hepatitis B, Chicken Pox, HIB, hepatitis A, and Human Papillova virus.
• From 5-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Steuben County Public Health & Nursing Services, County Office Building – G3 off D.S.S. Lobby, Bath.
An administration fee will be charged on a sliding scale ($3-$15 per person) for children under 19. Medicaid is accepted.
Adults are encouraged to update tetanus/diptheria immunization every 10 years. Cost for the adult immunization is $20.
Immunizations are by appointment only.
The Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services will sponsor free HIV and Sexually Transmitted Disease clinics, by appointment only as follows:
• From 9-11 a.m. Thursday at the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services clinic rooms, County Office Building, 3 East Pulteney Square, Bath.
The clinics are services available to all residents of Steuben County for HIV counseling and testing and for testing and treating sexually transmitted diseases.
For an appointment or information call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Bath office at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471.
• Arnot Health is offering a series of education classes for adults with diabetes. Participants should attend all four classes (scheduled weekly) in the series. A physician referral is required. Attendees’ insurance provider will be billed for enrollment costs. Classes will be held from 4-6 p.m. Thursday at the Horseheads Medical Office Building, 100 John Roemmelt Drive. Interested individuals with a physician referral should call Endocrinology and Diabetes to register at 607-795-2820.
Want to quit smoking?
• The Bath VA offers the Quit Smart Program to assist eligible veterans quit smoking. For more information call 664-4300.
• Get free and confidential help finding rehab treatment listings in your local area through findrehabnow.com or call today at 888-629-0333 to speak to a counselor.
Senior home care
The Steuben County Office for the Aging assists senior citizens and their families explore the many options for home care and support services for eligible senior citizens. For more information at 607-664-2298.
Steuben Coordinated Transportation offers transportation assistance to Steuben County residents (not on Medicaid) to medical, nutritional, or other necessary services. Assistance is offered through referrals to area services or by arranging for a volunteer driver for qualified clients.
For more information call (800) 346-2211 There is no fee but donations are accepted.
Residents of any age interested in becoming a volunteer driver may also call for more information. Mileage reimbursement is available to volunteer drivers.
Hospital bills or Medicare questions?
St. James Mercy financial representatives are available 1-2 p.m. Tues. at the Office for the Aging, 20 Broadway Mall, Hornell to answer questions regarding hospital bills or Medicare. This is a free service offered to any individual and no appointment is necessary.For more information call 324-8040.
Living with osteoarthritis
Today, more than 10 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee, making it the most common form of arthritis in the U.S. What are frequent causes of this type of arthritis, and what can you do to protect your knees, reduce the symptoms, and support your doctor’s treatment? With advice from some of the world’s leading knee specialists, the American Arthritis Society has compiled in its publication ARTHRITIS INFO useful and practical tips for self-care. Each tip is interesting and easy to follow. For a free sample issue of ARTHRITIS INFO, write to: American Arthritis Society, P.O. Box 271010, Minneapolis, MN 55427 (please include a loose 44 cent stamp for return postage.)