Health Calendar, click here
• A bereavement group for residents dealing with the loss of a loved one will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, November 13 in the Social Day Care Room on the ground floor of the Taylor Health Center.
• Bath Area.
7 p.m. Wednesday at the Dormann Library, 101 West Morris St., Bath.
• Hornell area
10 a.m. Wednesday at Friendly’s in Hornell, sponsored by St. James Mercy Hospital. For more information call 545-6404 or 295-9852.
• Connected by Cancer, an educational support group will meet from 10-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, November 14 in the Petrie West conference room at Arnot Ogden Medical Center. This months topic will be “Money Matter: Finding resources to manage cancer treatment costs.” Spouses and guests are welcome. For further information call Karen at 607-737-8115.
The Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services will sponsor free HIV and Sexually Transmitted Disease clinics, by appointment only as follows:
• From 9-11 a.m. Thursday, November 15 the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services clinic rooms, County Office Building, 3 East Pulteney Square, Bath.
The clinics are services available to all residents of Steuben County for HIV counseling and testing and for testing and treating sexually transmitted diseases.
For an appointment or information call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Bath office at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471.
The Steuben County Public Health Department will offer immunizations for children in need.
• From 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, November 14 at the Steuben County Public Health & Nursing Services, County Office Building – G3 off D.S.S. Lobby, Bath.
All clinics are by appointment only. An administration fee will be charged for children less than 19 years old based on a sliding fee scale ($3-$15/person.) Medicaid is accepted. Must adult vaccines are also available at cost, and a few are free at the clinics. Medicaid is also accepted for adults
Bring records of previous immunizations to the clinics. Call the Steuben County Public Health and Nursing Services Office in Bath at 664-2438 or 800-724-0471 to schedule an appointment or for further information.
Senior home care
The Steuben County Office for the Aging assists senior citizens and their families explore the many options for home care and support services for eligible senior citizens. For more information at 607-664-2298.
Steuben Coordinated Transportation, in partnership with the Office for the Aging and the United Way of the So. Tier, offers transportation assistance to Steuben County residents (not on Medicaid) to medical, nutritional, or other necessary services. Transportation assistance is offered by referrals to area services or by arranging for a volunteer driver to transport qualified clients.
If you are a senior citizen without transportation to necessary, non-emergency appointments, please call 2-1-1 HELPLINE by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-346-2211 and ask for Steuben Coordinated Transportation. Donations are accepted but there is not a fee for any services given.
Residents of any age interested in becoming a volunteer driver and a vital part of our community are also invited to call for more information. (Mileage reimbursement is available to volunteer drivers.)
Hospital bills or Medicare questions?
St. James Mercy financial representatives are available 1-2 p.m. Tues. at the Office for the Aging, 20 Broadway Mall, Hornell to answer questions regarding hospital bills or Medicare. This is a free service offered to any individual and no appointment is necessary. For more information call 324-8040.
Living with osteoarthritis
Today, more than 10 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee, making it the most common form of arthritis in the U.S. What are frequent causes of this type of arthritis, and what can you do to protect your knees, reduce the symptoms, and support your doctor’s treatment? With advice from some of the world’s leading knee specialists, the American Arthritis Society has compiled in its publication ARTHRITIS INFO useful and practical tips for self-care. Each tip is interesting and easy to follow. For a free sample issue of ARTHRITIS INFO, write to: American Arthritis Society, P.O. Box 271010, Minneapolis, MN 55427 (please include a loose 44 cent stamp for return postage.)
• Free Financial Assistance classes will be held from 3-5 p.m. every Wednesday at the Arnot Ogden Medical Center. Pre-registration is required. Those with insurance or no insurance may benefit from the class. Interested individuals can register by calling Health on Demand at 607-737-4499.
• A new course is now available: The new 40 minute CPR-By-Stander course. CPR has changed. The “short-form” is “hands-only.” The new approach by the American Heart Association is geared to be taught to the whole family in under an hour. Go to 10000LinksCPR.org to learn more.
Want to quit smoking?
• The Bath VA offers the Quit Smart Program to assist eligible veterans quit smoking. For more information call 664-4300.
• Get free and confidential help finding rehab treatment listings in your local area through findrehabnow.com or call today at 888-629-0333 to speak to a counselor.